samedi 16 avril 2011

Shocking tale of Modern India

Journalist Aravind Adiga's debut novel The White Tiger recounts the unique tale of Balram Halwai, a poor uneducated man from rural India who capitalizes on India's fast-developing outsourcing economy to become a successful entrepreneur. The novel simultaneously exposes the underbelly of Indian society and ridicules the promotion of India as a democratic country. Although criticized by some for its lack of subtlety or for being overly disparaging in its portrayal of Modern India, Adiga's novel won the Man Booker Prize in 2008 and continues to be a best-seller.

Read more on WAVE Magazine :

1 commentaire:

  1. Reminds me of a book I read a few years back, 'A Fine Balance', by Rohinton Mistry. I couldn't put it down it was that engaging. Thanks for the tip - I'm sure this one will end up on my summer reading list!

    RépondreSupprimer