lundi 20 septembre 2010

Would you say "yes" to "Marry me!"?

LANVIN Parfum Marry me

"Marry me!", the new perfume by Lanvin, is certainly turning heads. I was confronted by this innocent looking little bottle while walking through a department store. My initial reaction was: "I would never buy this perfume!" I find this advertising tactic befitting the era of the hit TV show "Mad Men", in which an advertising company in the 60s plays upon the concept that the pinnacle of a woman's life is marriage. Can we apply this seemingly outmoded concept to the modern woman? Would you say "yes" to "Marry me!"?

Many women would. I see it all around me--in the media, in Hollywood chick flicks, and in real-life. I have friends who have had their entire weddings planned out, from the flower arrangements to the dress, since they were 12 years old. I have seen women fawn with delight over their newly acquired engagement rings, and others who obsess over finding Mr. Right. Even feminists like Naomi Wolf admit to being attracted by the pomp and circumstance of marriage. It seems to me that many women continue to place a lot of emphasis on marriage and the elements of ceremony surrounding it.

So yes, the "Marry me!" line is still relevant for the contemporary woman. In the least, this somewhat controversial advertising campaign is eye-catching and buzz-worthy.

Watch the commercial here.

1 commentaire:

  1. Before we were married, my wife would occasionally wear Inoui by Shiseido - the most alluring, seductive perfume on the planet. Would I say 'yes'? Only if it was called 'Inoui'. But then, that already happened.

    RépondreSupprimer